all about that APPLE PIE!
If you live in LA, I'm sure you're nodding your head in unison to the fact that even though it's pretty much Halloween-- Fall weather has been nonexistent! Today it just cooled down and I was able to wear--gasp-- A SCARF outside! It was probably the best day ever and now that Fall is really, reeeallly here, I feel like it's now appropriate to share a little bit about the apple picking + apple pie making I did with my best girls, Carolyn & Christina. Let me tell you, these girls are literally my sisters and every weekend we're out doing something super random. Odds are if you follow me on Instagram, you saw us deck each other out as Kardashians yesterday. Safe to say we all almost peed our pants at least once.
Back to APPLES. Each year we try to make the trek out to Oak Glen and visit a new apple orchard. This year we ended up at Willowbrook Apple Farm. I highly suggest arriving right as the orchards open at 10am to avoid lines and crowds (and the heat!)
Walking through the orchards is always a magical experience and brings back childhood memories of when I had an apple tree in my backyard growing up! The variety we picked were winesap apples-- perfect for cider makin' and apple pies. We did both. At the end of picking, we made our own 1/2 gallon of cider by ourselves and it was actually harder than it looked lol. I broke a sweat cranking the grinder and then we had to turn this giant bolt to press out the juice.
Naturally we had to make something with a lil flair, like a pie with a braided crust, ha! Carolyn made an INSANE apple cider mimosa that she and I enjoyed with 90% champagne as the apple pie came to life in the oven. Scroll to the bottom for the recipe!
OUR FALL APPLE PIE
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 7-8 winesap apples (or your fave for apple pies!)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp butter, cold + cubed
- 2 unbaked pie crusts + 1 extra if you want to get crazy with braiding the crust
- -1 egg wash for brushing on crust
- Ok step one, know this is an easy, easy pie ;) Step B-- Preheat your oven to 375ºF.
- Mix together the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small bowl.
- Slice your apples and place them in a large bowl for mixin'. Add in the dry ingredients and toss to coat the apples.
- Press one of your pie crusts into a 9-inch pie dish and pour in that delicious mixture.
- This is where it gets different-- you drizzle your lemon juice over the apples! Then sprinkle the cubed butter evenly over all those dreamy, sugar coated slices.
- Now you can either place your second crust over the filling + cut some slits to vent the steam OR make a lattice top using these fancy directions. We braided a long strand and placed it over the edges to be extra fancy. Make sure you press down edges to seal everything.
- Now let that baby bake for 55-60 minutes. Let cool just a tad before slicing, then carve it up and put on a place with some vanilla bean ice cream. DROOL. I'll admit I'm the worst pie cutter but it tasted ahhhhmazing.
^ SO BUTTERY & FLAKY.
Do you have a better apple recipe? Share in the comments below! Xo, S